|Home Site Index Other Galleriesl|
Dietrich Vesta for Gamages
Dietrich Vesta Fiddlebase
Frister & Rossmann High Arm TS Variant 4
Frister & Rossmann High arm TS Variant 5
Frister & Rossmann Model D
TS from Collier
Gritzner TS Number 1
Jones Family CS
Jones D53 Green
National Expert BT
Singer Model 66
Singer Model 99
Singer Model 222 Featherweight
Stoewer TS with Cherubs
Stoewer Premier 2
Stoewer Princess Fiddlebase
Wheeler and Wilson No. 9
Whites New Peerless
Winselmann Titan K
is a Gritzner Number 1 badged by J. Collier & Sons Ltd 134 to
142 Clapham Road, London.
I have seen photographs of a machine bearing the Gritzner badge with identical decals and an identical design. so this is a Gritzner. On the top the word "foreign" can be faintly made out. It is a High Arm Family type with a transverse Shuttle. The decoration is stunning.
Circa: 1935 Top
Number 1. This is a High Arm Family type,Transverse Shuttle machine.
This one has a beautiful well preserved flower decal with mother of
pearl inlay and carries a brass oval plate embossed with the Gritzner
The firm was established in 1872 by M. Gritzner and by 1902 the Gritzner company had produced a million machines being Germany's largest sewing machine manufacturer. In 1897 the Company started making bicycles and then motorcycles in 1903. They took over Frister and Rossmann in 1925, merged with Kayser in 1931 and was finally taken over by Pfaff in 1957. Top
TS - Cherub and Birds Decals. In 1858, when he was 24 years old,
Bernhard Stoewer opened his own repair workshop in Stettin, Germany,
producing sewing machines as one of the oldest factories in Germany.
This machine has the Stoewer logo embossed on an oval brass plate. The
flywheel is much larger than is usual on this type of machine. The
cherubs and birds are in gold and blue.
Circa: 1912 . Top
is a New White's
Peerless Model "B" re-badged with the name Swan. However, the name
"White" is stamped on the shuttle. Thomas Howard White started
producing in 1858. At first these were chain-stich models made in
Templeton, Massachusetts. In 1866 he had a factory at Canal Street,
Cleveland, Ohio, re-named as the White Manufacturing Company making New
England (Raymond/Wier) type machines. The firm then became the White Sewing
Machine Co. in 1876. This New White Peerless dates from around 1895 and
has six U.S. Patent dates listed on the shuttle plate, from1884 to
1890. It has a transverse boat shuttle driven by the same elegant but
simple lever sytem as the earlier "Peerless". The bobbin is unique
because it has a hollow axle which slides over a rod inside the shuttle
and the handle is on a bent rod held in place by an unusual spring
device. The decals, in gold, yellow, red and green are stunning and
still in very good condition.
Circa: 1885 Top
|This is a Stoewer from Germany, imported by Harris and sold as the Harris Premier No.2. It is a typical High Arm Family TS type, with gold angel decals. The casting around the shuttle plates is flat whereas, on most similar TS machines there is a raised rectangular area around the shuttle plates. Otherwise, the design is identical to models produced by many other manufacturers during the early 1900's. There are no markings anywhere, not even a serial number. Circa: 1905 Top|
|This is the 3/4 size Vesta. The firm was established by L.O. Dietrich, H. Kohler and G. Winselmann in 1871 at Altenburg, Germany. Kohler and Winselmann left the firm in 1877 to form their own company Kohler & Winselmann which, like L. O. Dietrich, was based in Altenburg. Dietrich changed its brand name to Vesta shortly after Dietrichs death in 1904. The firm continued to produce sewing machines until World War 2. The trademark name of Vesta, which later almost replaced the name Dietrich, was used for the first time in 1895 according to advertisements. In 1906 the company produced Saxonia, Dietrich and Vesta sewing machines and by 1920 the name of Dietrich was replaced by Vesta. This machine is almost identical in design to the earlier Winselman Titan K. Until 2014 it was in regular use. Circa: 1935 Top|
3/4 size Titan K, Saxonia, transeverse shuttle machine from Germany in
about 1925. Made by Leberecht Friedrich Gustav Winselmann (1842-1907).
The gold badge behind the bobbin winder has a large figure lifting a
treadle and the words Winselmann Fabrik, Titan, Altenburg Thuring. The
decals are in gold and red depicting fronds and flowers. Later, Vesta
machines are almost identical.
Circa: 1925 Top
made by L.O. Dietrich, H. Köhler and G. Winselmann at Altenburg in
Germany for Gamages, which was a large London Department store. The
only mark says "foreign" but there are plenty of identical machines
with the same decals marked as Gamages. Also, Winselmann and Dietrich
made very similar machines called the Titan K and the Vesta. The
machine is three quarter size with recessed crank and a transverse boat
Circa: 1935 Top
| This ¾ size fiddlebase
is almost certainly a German Vesta by L.O. Dietrich. There are no
identifying marks, even under the bed but the overall design is the
same as the Vesta/Titan range. It has a threaded nut to hold down the
bed and tension discs at the top left of the needle-bar cover similar
to other Vesta's where as the Winselmann Titan usually has a simple
catch screwed into the woodwork and a wire hook respectively. It also
has the earlier bobbin winder and the fiddle base design would tend to
put it as an early machine perhaps from about 1930. The serial number
It uses the same transverse shuttle mechanism first employed in the Singer model 12 but the flywheel is placed in the centre of the pillar giving better stability on this lighter machine. The wooden base is recessed at the back to give extra space for the flywheel.The decals are 98% intact consisting of a gold leaves and flowers and overall, given its excellent condition, this example is highly collectable.
The firm began in 1871 at Altenburg, Germany. Kohler and Winselmann left in 1877 to form their own company, Kohler & Winselmann which, like L. O. Dietrich, was based in Altenburg. Dietrich changed its brand name to Vesta shortly after Dietrichs death in 1904. Top
Stoewer Princess fiddlebase.
There are no marks relating to the origins of this machine. It is 3/4 size with mother of pearl decoration. The flywheel is large for the size of the machine. However, it is almost identical to a small fiddlebase Stoewer made in Stettin, Germany (Now Szczecin, Poland). These were imported and retailed by W. J. Harris & Co., Limited, London. Bernhard Stoewer opened his own repair workshop in Stettin in 1858, when he was 24 years old. He shortly began manufacturing, creating the second oldest sewing machine factory in Germany.
Circa: 1905 Top
& Rossmann, High arm TS Variant 4, serial number
manufactured in about 1905 and sold through W. Pierssene 49 Fore Street
The gold decals are in the Oak Leaves style. It has a new patented bobbin winder
Robert Frister & Gustav Rossmann started a small sewing machine workshop in 1864 near Berlin. They began producing Wheeler & Wilson models and later a Wilcox and Gibbs clone until they had to move to bigger premises. By 1872 they were producing a copy of the superb Singer 12 fiddle-base. This, very well engineered, transverse shuttle design was the precursor of later models such as this High Arm number 4 variant.
Very soon Frister & Rossmann became Germany's largest sewing machine company. Gritzner took over in 1925 but they still produced machines under the original name. In the UK they sold from many outlets via an agency run successively by I Nash, Herman Loog, S Loewe, W. Pierssene from 1899 and finally O. Quitmann from about 1920. They were also badged by Harrods of London. Their machines won Medals at exhibitions in Sydney, Amsterdam , London, Edinburgh, Adalaide, Melbourne, and of course, Berlin. Top
and Rossman. This is a High arm Family type, TS (transverse shuttle)
Variant 5 model. The decal style is known as Red Lilies. These decals
appeared from 1908 until at least 1938. After 1920 there is a letter K
on the inside of the arm with further variations to the design. These
are still quite common and many have been preserved in good condition.
This is the first model in my collection, bought for £30 inb 1973. This
is what started it all off. It has a lot to answer for.
Circa: 1910 Top
|A Model D Frister and Rossman Transverse Shuttle machine. Originally German and quite common. Top|
Family CS -
Serial Number 335764, Circa 1920.
This Jones Family CS,“cylindrical shuttle”, machine is still quite common in the UK. It first appeared as a hand driven domestic machine in 1893 and went to over 600,000 machines until about 1935.
It was often re-badged and sold on by other distributors such as the Co-op which sold the C.W.S. Federation with a colourful flower motif.
Jones seems to have ignored many mechanical innovations over its 40 years production period. In this 1920’s model there is minimal use of cogs, only in the handle housing and the rotating hook and transverse action is overlooked for the outdated boat shuttle oscillating from side to side in a curved race.
William Jones started making sewing machines in 1859 and in 1860 formed a partnership with Thomas Chadwick. As Chadwick & Jones they manufactured sewing machines at Ashton-under-Lyne until 1863. Thomas Chadwick later joined Bradbury & Co. Whilst William Jones opened a factory in Guide Bridge, Manchester in 1869. The firm was re-named as the Jones Sewing Machine Co. Ltd in July 1869 and later became Brother UK Ltd. This model was endorsed by Queen Alexander, wife of King Edward VII who succeeded Queen Victoria, and so 'As supplied to Her Majesty Queen Alexandra' is on the decal just above the shuttle winder. It dates from around 1920. Top
attractive, metallic green, model D53 Jones with gold decals. Most of
these were in black and many were electric. It is very heavy and
The serial number is SA10170 which tells us little except that it was probably made after 1935 when Jones stopped using a linear system for numbering their machines. If someone has better information such as a dated receipt I should like to hear from them. It could even date from the late 1940’s bearing in mind that production very likely stopped during the war years.
It utilises a boat shuttle in a curved race driven by a lever system. It certainly looks more modern than the Family CS models but, mechanically, it is no more advanced.
William Jones started making sewing machines in 1859 and in 1860 formed a partnership with Thomas Chadwick. As Chadwick & Jones they manufactured sewing machines at Ashton-under-Lyme until 1863. Their machines used designs from Howe and Wilson produced under licence. Thomas Chadwick later joined Bradbury & Co. William Jones opened a factory in Guide Bridge Manchester in 1869. In 1893 a Jones advertising sheet claimed that this factory was the "Largest Factory in England Exclusively Making First Class Sewing Machines". The firm was renamed as the Jones Sewing Machine Co. Ltd and was later acquired by the Brother company of Japan, in 1968. There is an excellent article on Jones machines by Alex Askaroff at his “Sewalot” site. Top
This is the “Expert BT” by the National Sewing Machine Company of Belvidere, Illinois from around 1925. The Needlebar site is the only other place I could find a picture of this model. Most National or Eldridge machines were sold on to distributors and re-badged. Faudels was such a company located at 36-40 Newgate Street, London as an importer and distributor.
The machine has a
transverse boat shuttle and two inspection plates on the front.
Earlier models had a leaf tensionser on top of the arm but this has
one the typical spring tensioner on the side of the needle-bar
housing. This example did not have its wooden base so the one shown
is a recent addition. The decals on this are still in very good
condition with the name Faudels Ltd on the top of the arm and a
striking peacock design with the word “Trademark” on the front of
the pillar and “Made in USA” on the back of the pillar. This
seems to be the only model with a bracket on the top to hold two
Model 66 with Oscillating Hook The Model 66 was introduced in 1900 with
production continuing to the 1950's. The machine was made as a hand
crank, treadle and electric variant. Various decal patterns were used
on these machines and although the Singer company did not name the
decal patterns over the years collectors have given them names. In
America the Model 66 had a decal pattern known by collectors as Red Eye
which was introduced c1910. This pattern was not available in Europe
instead a pattern collectors
call Lotus was used on machines made at
the Singer's Kilbowie factory. The Singer Model 66 is common in Great
Britain. This was made in 1922.
Circa: 1922 Top
This is a Singer 28K, vibrating boat Shuttle (VS) machine manufactured in 1903 at Kilbowie, Clydebank, Scotland. The serial number is R829586 VS and the “K” is used to denote Kilbowie as the origin. They are still very common because so many were built over a period from the mid 1880’s to the late 1930’s. Singer and other manufacturers were also making the faster and quieter transverse boat shuttle systems or the rotating hook models which had bigger shuttle bobbins that required less frequent re-winding. However, the VS was cheaper and many people still had faith in the older system.
The decals on this example, known as “Victorian”, are almost complete but show a little discolouration after 110 years. It is not uncommon to find a 28k from the 1930’s still in mint condition. The internal mechanism is mainly cams and levers with the shuttle moving from left to right in a curved boat race. The Jones CS ans D53 in the Warren Collection use an almost identical mechanism.
Singer, already established in the USA, opened their Glasgow factory 1867 and by 1885 had moved into the biggest sewing machine factory in the world at Kilbowie. Top
Model 99 from 1939, serial number EC171537 in mint condition.
The Model 99 is a smaller version of the Model 66 and was supposed to be more portable. It seems to have been introduced c1920 and production continued until c1950. This machine was made as a hand crank, treadle and electric machine. The hand crank version was originally available with a bentwood case but later this was changed to a box. Many are still in use. Top
Although introduced in America in 1933 the Singer 221 was not put into production at Kilbowie Scotland until 1947. It was produced in large numbers up to the early 1950's.
The 222 was introduced in the 1950's and was slightly lighter than the 221, having a short removable table and an internal toothed rubber belt linking the top and bottom gears. There is also a beige version of this machine. It was made from an alloy and came in a neat box. These are still valued as working machines. Top
|Wheeler and Wilson No. 9 machine 1887 - 1905. Designed for Family use with its high arm it was advertised as 'The Only Perfect Sewing Machine for Family Use'. After Singers take over of the Wheeler & Wilson Manufacturing Company it was made under the Singer brand name until at least 1913. Very early No. 9 machines use the same bobbin mechanism as the No. 8. Top|
|Although small, the “Ideal Sewing Machine” is not a toy. Engineer, Leslie Salter first applied for the “Improved Portable Chain Stitch Sewing Machine” patent on the 30th December 1910. His application, patent number 30264 was accepted on the 8th June 1911. This is a unique machine employing a "walking foot" to move the cloth but using a different mechanism to the Davis. This is a model A and has suffered some nasty rusting on the base plate. The model B was much improved on this model. Top|